Monday, November 2, 2015

Hallo-WEAK. Haha. So clever.

Aloha!!

So I've got a little story for you all that I think you'll find quite humorous, because I honestly don't know how I allowed myself to get in this situation. Last week we got an email asking if we would like to be a part of a Christmas missionary choir. Now if you know me, you know that choirs aren't really my thing. I tried it out freshman year in high school, joined in with the church choirs, and I just never really was into the whole sitting-for-an-hour-singing thing. People always seemed to point out how "thrilled" I looked when I was singing. And my voice, although I'm not completely tone deaf, is definitely not anything spectacular. BUT Sister Mekonnen really wanted to join, so I envisioned a big group of missionaries together singing fun little Christmas tunes, so I kindly obliged. We emailed back and said we would love to join. So we show up to our first rehearsal and there are literally like 15 of us. And most of the others are quite skilled. And these are songs I've never heard before and are so challenging. I really think I just looked like a deer in the headlights the whole rehearsal, but I survived. THEN we come to find out that we will be having 3-hour rehearsals every pday. Until Christmas. Like what the heckkkkkk. So now I'm stuck in this choir, and we find out it's a traveling choir. So this isn't just one concert that I have to endure through. Sister Mekonnen and I both were like "uhhhhhh this is not what we were expecting" but it's too late. We are stuck now. I'll be sure to keep you all updated on how this all goes down.

We had Halloween this week, which, let me just let you all know, is SO underwhelming here. Like we saw maybe 15 trick-or-treaters, and as we observed them going door-to-door I did not see ONE door open. How depressing, am I right?! I do miss the grand American Halloween, I must say. Appreciate your holidays, my friends! This weekend it's the 5th of November, which is "bonfire night" so apparently there will be lots of fireworks and fires. I've been told the meaning behind this holiday and apparently it's celebrating a man who failed at overtaking parliament...? So they killed him in a fire. Odd reason to have a holiday, if I do say so myself. But hey, I won't complain. Any reason to have fireworks is good enough for me.

I have also been declared as the official brownie maker for district meetings, which has been quite a test for my intelligence. Our week 1 attempt ended with a burnt finger and uncooked brownies = no brownies at district meeting. Week 2 was a success. Everyone was asking what my secret was to make these brownies, and I had two words for them: Betty. Crocker.

I have heard that I did not do a very sufficient job of updating you all on my new companion. So Sister Mekonnen and I get along GREAT. Like seriously, I love that girl so much already. We are realllllly crossing our fingers that we will get to be together another transfer so that we will be together for Christmas (and Thanksgiving because we have the BEST couple in our ward that celebrates it and said we are invited holllllla)! The funny thing is that she has a complete American accent, so, just like what always happened to Sister Bader, everyone always assumes that we're both from the States, and they are so taken aback when she says she's from Ethiopia hahaha.

This pday has turned into an interesting one... This morning at 7am we got a call from our bishop declaring that we and the Elders had an emergency service project. We came to find out that it was practically demolishing and remodeling the same home that we had "deep cleaned" a few weeks ago. We headed straight over and literally painted/cleaned/put up wallpaper all. day. long. But we DID get KFC out of it. Now we are just headed to a dinner appointment and that will make up our entire day haha. I literally ended up covered from head to toe in paint somehow, and so I'm gonna look real nice at dinner, but service is always good, right ladies and gents?! Even though we ended up missing our 3-hour choir practice... so I'll update you on that next week haha.

And now to end this letter that is being sent super duper late... Sister Mekonnen and I just got raw eggs thrown at us... lovely end to this tiring day.

But for some spiritual upliftment:

"Rise to the great potential within you. I do not ask that you reach beyond your capacity. I hope you will not nag yourselves with thoughts of failure. I hope you will not try to set goals far beyond your capacity to achieve. I hope you will simply do what you can do in the best way you know. If you do so, you will witness miracles come to pass." Gordon B. Hinckley

Love ya'll! Keep on rockin'!
Sister Syddall



Post post: A PICTURE!! From Sister Syddall (November 3) ~ I know you are going to be taken aback by receiving an email from me today... but we got special permission from President Stevens to do our pday activities today since our day yesterday was all used up! Here's a selfie for ya haha!

No comments:

Post a Comment