Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Week dos in Stevenage WOOHOO (sorry I can't come up with a better subject than this... Haha)

HELLO! It's been... well... another very similar week to last in the good ol' Stevenage! I truly am loving this area more and more every day, unfortunately there just is not as much crazy stuff going down, so I'm sorry if the material in the weekly report is a little less... exciting.

The whole gang's here (yes... this is our entire district now haha)

Well let's start with the important matters. IT FINALLY SNOWED. Granted, it was like half an inch, if even that, BUT it's the first time I've seen snow since I've been here, so that was pretty sweet. Oh, and I learned that apparently ginger warms your body. Who knew? Well maybe you did know, but a Filipino family fed us some porridge that was just packed with it and they told us it would warm us, and no joke, I was toasty warm for the rest of the night.

This week we had a dinner appointment with an elderly woman in the ward and her son. Prior to going to the appointment we heard from just about everyone "DON'T. TOUCH. THE DOG." We were told the many vicious horror stories of it biting different people, and the police being called all the time about this dog. The dog's name is Blade, which goes along with its personality quite well, I suppose. So needless to say, Sister Smith and I were TERRIFIED to go to the dinner. Right when we got there we just kept our hands stuffed in our coat pockets and that dog kept scratching our legs and pushing our legs trying to get us to pet it, but we did not give in to its antics, and I'm happy to say that we made it out without losing a hand. BUT we eat there every week, so I'll keep you updated if the situation takes a turn for the worse.

There's a family in the ward that feeds the missionaries every single Friday, and they feed us steak, potatoes, and spinach salad. Every. Single. Week. Not gonna lie, I've really enjoyed it these past two weeks because I think this is the first time I've been fed steak since I've been on the mission, so at this moment in time I'm loving it! If I stay in this area for another 5 months, we will see how I feel about it... haha!

Something I'm pleased as punch about is the fact that there are not nearly as many pigeons in this neck of the woods. Lots of duck and geese and swans BUT very few pigeons. Just thought I'd let you all know. And I still feel like a 5-year-old with how excited I get when I see a swan because they're just SO PRETTY. But I've legitimately developed a small phobia of birds since I've been out here, so I still won't get close to them. After being hit in the head by one AND being pooped on, can ya blame me?

There was a pretty sunset. Too bad the dang ipads hardly capture the beauty. Took Sister Smith a lil off guard haha.

On Sunday Sister Smith and I had the pleasure of giving a talk in sacrament meeting (woooohoooo) and we gave it on the topic of missionary work (surprising, I know!). I must say, I am pleasantly surprised that I have made it 6+ months without having to give a talk (not counting bearing my testimony, of course - done that a thousand times). I think it went over smoothly and {hopefully} helped motivate the ward a little bit to be more involved in missionary work themselves. I quoted a talk by Elder M. Russell Ballard,

"Trust the Lord. He is the Good Shepherd. He knows His sheep, and His sheep know His voice; and today the voice of the Good Shepherd is your voice and my voice. And if we are not engaged, many who would hear the message of the Restoration will be passed by. Simply stated, it's a matter of faith and action on our part. The principles are pretty simple - pray, personally and in your family, for missionary opportunities. The Lord has said in the Doctrine and Covenants that many people have been kept from the truth only 'because they know not where to find it.'"

I simply LOVE this quote. We are the Lord's voice, so we need to seek those opportunities to share the message of the gospel with everyone! Pray for the opportunities, folks, and they'll come, I promise you!

I hope you all have a fantastic week! Now I'm off to the blessed land of Costco, where dreams come true :) Can't wait to buy me some dang good blueberry muffins!

Love,
Sister Syddall

No comments:

Post a Comment