Monday, February 8, 2016

Proud to be a Coloradan

HELLO!

I first must acknowledge the wonderful news about the Broncos. I am just pleased as punch to hear that they are SUPERBOWL CHAMPS 2K16!!! I think that wearing my Broncos shirt to bed was probably what gave them that extra luck they needed, ammirite?! Hahaha. But now on to the happenings of the week!

So last Monday night we went to our Bishops home for dinner and had a grand old time with his family (his sons are about the funniest kids EVER). As we were getting ready to leave we were standing at the door and I had the strap of my bag around my shoulder, and then in the blink of an eye, the strap just snapped and whipped me right in the eye. I just immediately react by saying "OW my eye!" And then Sister Smith and Bishop just LOST IT. They were cracking up for a solid five minutes. But of course they checked to see if I was alright before they began laughing haha. I am happy to say, though, my vision was not affected by this bag fiasco. So the goal of today is to find a new bag.

On Tuesday we had a lesson with our investigator Andrew. We had a member lined up to come with us, but at the last minute she was unable to. Since we cannot go to a man's home without a woman accompanying us, we had to have our lesson somewhere else. It was raining and cold and windy outside, so the park was out. Everything else seemed to close around the same time that our lesson was supposed to begin, so we wound up at our last resort... McDonald's. Lesson learned: do no ever have a lesson in McDonald's. Oh my goodness, there was just music blasting, tons of people talking, and focusing was just soooooo hard. Luckily though he is way cool and was still very receptive to what we were teaching him. I also learned the fun fact that the reason the buses in Stevenage have blue lights in them is so that people cannot inject drugs... classy place this is. Classy. Place.

On Wednesday we had THREE meal appointments in the span of SIX hours. I don't recommend it, folks. It was painful. Meal #1 at 11am, Meal #2 at 12:30pm, and Meal #3 at 5pm. I seriously could have gone without eating all day just after the first appointment alone! Sister Smith is kind of known as the Sister "with the small appetite." She's been known by that her entire mission, and this day was almost unbearable for her! One of the Elders who served here previously told us that he gained a stone in ONE transfer and I didn't understand how that would have been possible. This day made me realise how that indeed was possible. Luckily we are already in the last week of the transfer, and I think I've safely made it this far without gaining a stone. We'll see how this week goes, though haha! This upcoming week we already have a day with two meal appointments scheduled, and I'm really hoping it will stay at that. (Note from Tina: a "stone" is a unit of weight used in the UK equal to 14 pounds. Thank you, Google.)

We had Zone Meeting on Thursday, which was super great!! I love the spirit that can be felt when I'm together with a group of missionaries. There is so much to learn from every single one of them! We ate at a place called "The Slug and Lettuce" afterwards. Not the greatest name, if you ask me, but it was some goooooood food. Then like an hour after that we were fed ANOTHER meal haha.

Here are a couple of Zone selfies... 

Hmmmmmm now that I read this email, I see that the only thing you may pull away from this is that I ate a whole lotta food... so let's end this on a spiritual note, shall we?

This week I read the talk "Approaching the Throne of God with Confidence" by Elder Jörg Klebingat. I love the set of questions he asks at the beginning: "On a scale of 1 to 10, how would you rate your spiritual confidence before God? Do you have a personal witness that your current offering as a Latter-day Saint is sufficient to inherit eternal life? Can you say within yourself that Heavenly Father is pleased with you? What thoughts come to mind if you had a personal interview with your Savior one minute from now? Would sins, regrets, and shortcomings dominate your self-image, or would you simply experience joyful anticipation? Would you meet or avoid His gaze? Would you linger by the door or confidently walk up to Him?"

I invite you all to ponder these questions. Elder Klebingat goes on to say, "Regardless of the rating you gave yourself on that 1-to-10 scale, by applying the Atonement of Jesus Christ, you can begin increasing your spiritual confidence today if you are willing to listen and to act." We can all work on increasing that spiritual confidence! I know that through applying the Atonement, we can feel sure that our Heavenly Father is proud of us, and we can approach His throne with CONFIDENCE!

Love you all! Have a lovely week!

Love,
Sister Syddall

No comments:

Post a Comment