Monday, February 29, 2016

Short and Sweet

Well, folks, I'm sorry to say it but there was not anything particularly riveting that happened this past week, hence the title "short and sweet" because that's probably what this email will be! But I'll try to think of a few of the highlights :)

On Tuesday we got to go to lunch with the hilarious Chinese sister in the ward, and she brought along her husband (he's a less active member, VERY English, almost 80 years old), who Sister Smith and I were a little bit scared of because last time he had to give us a lift somewhere he said "if you could not ask for a lift again that would be great, because it is a great inconvenience" and then we proceeded to sit in super awkward silence for the rest of the ride... BUT it was finally made clear to us this day that it was just his very dry sense of sarcasm! Love that English humour! Honestly though, I really find those type of people hilarious now, and it was nice to cut the awkward tension from the first time meeting him. Just shows that first impressions can be completely wrong! And we got to eat at a Chinese buffet that was SO GOOD. I'm still dreaming about it.

A random picture for good measure.
(I don't think Sister Smith likes pictures... just an observation from Lo's mama)

Hmmmmm.... what else... we had a dinner appointment on Wednesday night with the Steiners. Funniest. family. ever. To give you an idea of how it usually goes, we talked about the way we would choose to die (Bro. Steiner's chosen way was to drown in a pool of peanut butter), talked about if there was a zombie apocalypse (Sis. Steiner would be very pumped to hunt some zombies), Sister Smith's and Sister Steiner's distaste for hugging... you name it. It's just so funny all the time. After we concluded the message, their daughters kept licking each other's arms (don't ask me why) and so I was like "hey! did you know if you lick someone's elbow they can't feel it?!" and they were all like "wait, really?!" and then they all proceeded to lick each others elbows, and then they were like "WAIT A MINUTE. Are you just trying to make us look stupid?!" I assured them I was not kidding (seriously people, try it) and so Sister Steiner was like "okay girls, one of you come up and lick my elbow but don't let me know when you are going to do it" So as she's closing her eyes, her husband is gesturing to me and Sister Smith to come and do it and that he would give us £5. Sister Smith was apprehensive, so I took one for the team and snuck up to lick the elbow. It was successful, and she did not feel it, but of course everyone was laughing and so Sister Steiner was like "I have a feeling that was NOT one of my daughters..." If none of this story made sense, I apologise, but it was quite humorous. I didn't get the £5 though haha.

Yesterday we were booked back to back for dinner appointments. Again. Story of my life. At the first appointment we were at a home with nine cats. Wonderful setting for my allergies. We found out that the mum of the family had given birth on the couch we were sitting on. Niceeeeeee. And then we speed-walked right to the next dinner appointment. I'm surprised I did not explode.

I realise, once again, that this entire email is about food... Wow, I need some more exciting material. I'll try better next week fellas. Let's end this on a spiritual note:

"We sometimes think that being grateful is what we do after our problems are solved, but how terribly shortsighted that it. How much of life do we miss by waiting to see the rainbow before thanking God that there is rain?" (President Dieter F. Uchtdorf)

Strive to be grateful in all circumstances! Trust in the Lord. Trust in His will. Press forward with faith and hope! Love you all!

Love,
Sister Syddall

P.S. I now realise that this is not that short and sweet...

No comments:

Post a Comment