Monday, March 21, 2016

SPRING IS HERE

Happy Spring everybody!

How has your week been? Good? Good. I'm very glad to hear that. Something that makes me very happy about England is the fact that daffodils sprout up like weeds all over the place, so everywhere is just so yellow and happy and it's just getting SO beautiful outside! Well, this week has been pretty dang fantastic, so on into that!

Obviously the greatest and most wonderful highlight of the week was Andrew's baptism! I seriously am struggling to put into words how wonderful the entire event was! And the fact that his wife was able to be here to see it was amazing as well. She bore such a powerful testimony about the Holy Ghost, and we came to find out that that was the first time she bore her testimony for him! The Spirit was just so strong throughout the entire service. The person who filled the font may have done so a tad bit early, so the water was a little chillier than expected, but Andrew survived, so all is well. And the happiness that just radiated from his face, AHHHH nothing compares. Right after the service ended, his wife very excitedly exclaimed, "Alright, now we are one step closer to the temple!"

LOVE how awkward baptism photos are hahaha!

Andrew and his wife

Sunday was also an amazing day because he was confirmed and received the Holy Ghost. Sacrament meeting went something like this: Andrew #1 was the music chorister. Then Andrew #2 was confirmed by Andrew #3. Then we had a talk by Andrew #3, followed by a talk by Andrew #1. And then Andrew #1 led us again in a wonderful song hahaha. That's a whole lotta Andrew.

After District meeting on Friday, we had a lil barbecue outside in the church parking lot (we won a competition last transfer, so the Zone Leaders owed us. Bet they were grateful it was the district of FOUR that they had to provide for haha). They just had these mini grill things, but DANG did they produce a whole lot of smoke. I'm pretty sure I smelled like a campfire for the remainder of the day. And I've got to say that must have been the coldest, dampest barbecue I've ever had. Seriously, the day before was warm and sunny, but of course ya can't predict what the weather will be like every day.

The smoky parking lot barbecue

Oh, and I am proud to announce that I ate my first ever fish and chips! I know what you're all thinking... "it took almost 9 months to eat fish and chips?!" And the answer is yes. Yes it did. My opinion on it is that it is okay. Not something I would necessarily crave to eat, but still good. It's just a whole lotta deep fried batter to handle, but my dislike of fish has slowly began to diminish since I've been over here, so that is a good thing I suppose. I also got to wear a minion mascot costume, so what could be better?!

In the minion costume (yes, I am holding a banana haha)

Well, Sister Smith and I are about to head off on our last London expedition together, and we are going to try to see something other than Big Ben and Buckingham Palace haha. I'll let you know next week if we were successful. OH and btw it is transfers next week, so I won't be emailing until Tuesday.

Here's a little something to ponder:

"I testify that the Savior's Atonement lifts from us not only the burden of our sins but also the burden of our disappointments and sorrows, our heartaches and our despair. From the beginning, trust in such help was to give us both a reason and a way to improve, an incentive to lay down our burdens and take up our salvation. There can and will be plenty of difficulties in life. Nevertheless, the soul that comes unto Christ, who knows His voice and strives to do as He did, finds a strength, as the hymn says, 'beyond [his] own.' The Savior reminds us that He has 'graven [us] upon the palms of [His] hands.' Considering the incomprehensible cost of the Crucifixion and Atonement, I promise you He is not going to turn His back on us now. When He says to the poor in spirit, 'Come unto me,' He means He knows the way out and He knows the way up. He knows it because He has walked it. He knows the way because He is the way." (Jeffrey R. Holland)

I hope you all are able to reflect on the Atonement this week leading up to Easter. What does the Atonement mean to you? How can you apply the Atonement more fully into your life every day? I invite you to think about these questions :) LOVE YOU ALL!

Love,
Sister Syddall

No comments:

Post a Comment