Monday, May 2, 2016

HAPPY {almost} MOTHER'S DAY!

Hello Familia and Amigos!!

This week has been a bit crazy, but it has also been way good, so let's just get right into that!

Exchange!

Last Monday in the evening we got to venture over to Watford again for an exchange with the Sister Training Leaders, and that is always fun! Luckily, some very kind members from the ward were willing to give us a lift there, so it saved us about 1.5 hours on the journey. We worked in Watford for the day on Tuesday, and I had the opportunity to work with Sister Fitts. I also had the pleasure of riding bikes... Now, don't get me wrong, it's nice to get from point A to point B a lot quicker, BUT riding a bike in a skirt is not a very easy feat. I'm pretty sure I spent more time looking at my skirt and adjusting it than I did looking ahead. That may be why I ran into a garbage can... but that's besides the point. The important part is that I'm alive and I got a good leg workout in for the day. I did not realise until I got on the bike just how much coordination a person could lose over such a short period of time. Man, was I wobbly! But with time I got a bit more stable. Oh, and I can't forget to mention that, although the day started out bright and sunny, it started SNOWING while we were riding?!?! We were just like "where the heck did this come from??!?!" But, as always on exchange, I learned so many great things and I was able to set some goals, which is always wonderful!

The Azzarians - they are so great!

Wednesday we had a dinner appointment where we made the food for a recent convert and her husband. What could be better (and easier, for that matter haha) than tacos?! I've gotta say, I didn't even realise how much I truly missed tacos! The lack of Mexican food here is quite disheartening, but hey, at least they have some good curries! Oh, and I have to say the most entertaining thing of the night was me trying to explain to these English people what PUDDING in America is. I came to the conclusion that it is a dessert-type thing that is commonly packed in school lunches, having a consistency a bit thicker than custard. They were just baffled because to them it's just any type of dessert. BUT fun fact of the day: in this neck of the woods, apparently "pudding" means that it is a large quantity, and "dessert" is more commonly used for a small quantity. At least that's what they told me. If it's incorrect, don't quote me on that haha.

Thursday we got to have the funeral for Sister Hernes... even though she still had two weeks left (that's besides the point)! We had some nice speeches and sent her off with none other than a personal rap song (because who doesn't love a good rap?). The zone leaders weren't able to come, so there was just four of us, BUT it was still a blast. I'm so sad my Norwegian pal will be leaving me in just a week :'(  I've learned so many good things from her! She's such a powerful missionary.

The whole crew is here...

Sad day

I also heard the most English phrase I have EVER heard at a dinner appointment on Friday: "If you toot your hooter 3 seconds after the light turns green, I'll sit on my bonnet and watch the birds fly by!" TOOT? HOOTER? BONNET? It kills me hahahaha.

With our main guys in the back haha

Kathy - the hilarious Chinese sister. She is such an angel. She has a heart of gold and just serves EVERYONE! I hope to be as great at serving as she is someday. And of course ANDREW! He's doing great :)

With Mother's Day coming up THIS SUNDAY, I thought it would be fitting to share my favourite quote about moms :)  This is from October 2015 by Jeffrey R. Holland:

"Bear, borne, carry, deliver. These are powerful, heartening, messianic words. They convey help and hope for safe movement from where we are to where we need to be - but cannot get without assistance. These words also connote burden, struggle, and fatigue - words most appropriate in describing the mission of Him who, at unspeakable cost, lifts us up when we have fallen, carries us forward when strength is gone, delivers us safely home when safety seems far beyond our reach. 'My Father sent me,' He said, 'that I may be lifted up upon the cross; ...that as I have been lifted up ...even so should men be lifted up ...to ...me.'

"But can you hear in this language another arena of human endeavor in which we use words like bear and borne, carry and lift, labor and deliver? As Jesus said to John while in the very act of Atonement, so He says to us all, 'Behold thy mother!'

"Today I declare from this pulpit what has been said here before: that no love in mortality comes closer to approximating the pure love of Jesus Christ than the selfless love a devoted mother has for her child."

I am so grateful for all of the wonderful mothers in the world, and especially those who have touched my life and been an example to me! And I'm grateful for the number one mama in my life, Mama Tina! I LOVE YOU SO MUCH, MUM!

Have a great week everyone!

Love,
Sister Syddall

1 comment: