Monday, May 23, 2016

Stinging Nettle

Hello Everyone!

This week has just flown by, where to even begin? Well, I'll begin by telling you about a little shortcut by our flat that takes us to the main road that we walk down. When I arrived in Stevenage it was nice and cut off a good few minutes of our walk. It's a little path through the forest, and it's just been great. That was until every single plant {ever} just bloomed within the span of about 2 days, I swear. Every time we go down it, it seems like it's grown way more wild (Stevenage went from brown and bland to green and beautiful in like 5 seconds). So this week I had my first encounter with stinging nettle. And lemme tell ya, that stuff hurts sooooooo bad. Oh my goodness, my leg just barely brushed against it, but it stung for a good hour. So yeah, that shortcut is no longer in use. Sad day. We also saw a little kid fall off of his bike into a bush of stinging nettle. Poor kid.

We met with a new Chilean family in our ward, and we are excited to start teaching their daughter to prepare for her baptism! The children literally speak NO English. Not a lick. So it will be very interesting to see how it goes! I have a feeling we will be using a lot of charades and pictures haha. I'll keep you all updated.

Had to eat steak and kidney pie again this week. Just thinking about it gives me the chills. That's all I have to say about that haha.

We had such an AMAZING conference with President and Sister Stevens. They focused on the culture of our mission, and what makes us stand out. Now, in the mission we have some things that make us a bit unique, like the fact that we wake up at 6:29am (not gonna lie, that one does not make the most sense to me), and a couple other things, but they went over a new motto for us that I LOVE:

Obedience is the price.
Faith is the power.
Love is the motive.
The Spirit is the key.
Christ is the reason.

And that's the mission all wrapped up into a little paragraph! I truly just LOVE this work. I wouldn't want to be anywhere else in the whole entire world right now! Even when people are flaky and we walk for miles and miles and it's cold and rainy, I still can't help but just feel so much JOY in this work.

OH, I don't know if I've ever mentioned this, but I apparently have this habit where I teach the lessons in my sleep...? I don't even know what's up with that haha, but every companion I've had has made comments on it. I don't even dream about teaching people, so I don't know where this is coming from. My poor companions that wake up to me preaching the good word.

Favourite tracting moment from the week:

*knock knock knock* old lady answers the door
Us: "Hello!"
Her: "UGH, religion? No, no, no. I will not talk about religion on my doorstep. I do NOT think people should be knocking on doors trying to sell Jesus. I know they all say that Christ did it, but if HE were here today, I don't think he'd be doing this. I am a Christian, and I am happy going to my own church."
Me: "Okay, how do you think we should approach people?"
Her: "Well... I don't know... but not like this!"

Ahhhhhh. The logic of people is just great, isn't it?

Today for pday we went on an adventure with the zone leaders (we were dyin to get out of Stevenage), and we ended up at some super old falling apart church (had a battle with a TON of stinging nettle) and then some MASSIVE gardens of an 84-year-old man that is apparently the cousin of the queen. It was seriously just breathtaking! The pictures won't even do it justice. Today the weather has just been perfect and warm and everything is just so green and pretty!

Well, LOVE YA'LL! Have a fantastic week!

Love,
Sister Syddall












No comments:

Post a Comment